Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Memories

Today is mom's birthday. She would have been 66. It feels so young to talk about someone in the past tense. Every time we celebrate her I still go through the day in disbelief.

She has been gone over three years now and sometimes it feels like yesterday but other times I think it has been a lifetime. So much has happened. Four children have been born into our family, people have moved homes, jobs have changed, Dad got married (obviously that would not have happened with her here). I just can't believe life went on without her.

There are days I can talk about her without crying just a little, but they are few and far between. Especially lately. I don't know if it is Rachel or what, but I miss her more than usual right now. I have decided holidays will always be hard on some level. After all this was her time to shine. Of course her birthday, and then Thanksgiving. She always spent about three days in the kitchen for this day. There were pies to make, dressing, broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes, and one large turkey and usually a ham that needed to be prepared. We helped some but the majority of it was made by her very skilled hands. and then we went right in to Christmas which was pretty much a "stand back and watch her go" time of year. We never knew where she was but the credit card people did. Mom was crazy about Christmas. Her only reply when the question of Santa Claus came up was "Christmas Magic" (and that was when I was 22).

I apologize for going on and on. I could talk about my mom for hours so I have to stop myself.
The conclusion that I am coming to is that how much you miss someone is directly indicative of how much you loved them in life and the importance they had.
I can't wait to see her again.

The joy of our reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment